Friday, June 6, 2008

Flourless Sunbutter Cookies

P1010810

So I had been seeing recipes abound for flourless peanut butter cookies, and sunflower seed butter alternatives. I had been curious to try them for awhile. I also had a jar of sunflower seed butter that has been following me around for several years now (cough cough).

1 cup sunflower butter, stirred
1/4 cup muscadova light brown sugar, packed
1/2 c granulated sugar
1 egg replacement (I used Bob's Red Mill.. crap, does that have gluten in it?)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 t molasses
1 teaspoon baking soda
A small pinch of sea salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine the sunflower butter, sugars and egg-substitute in a mixing bowl until consistency is reached. Add vanilla, molasses, baking soda and salt; mix well with a wooden spoon.

I chilled my dough at this point, but I don't think that is necessary. Pull off pieces of the dough with oiled hands and roll into 1-inch balls. Place the balls on a foil-lined or parchment-lined baking sheet. Using a fork, press the balls slightly to make a criss-cross pattern- making the cookies roughly 1 1/2 inches. I actually like making diamonds to squares, but to each their own.

Place the baking sheet into the center of a preheated oven and bake for 9 to 10 minutes, until they are golden and set. They will be soft until they cool. Cool the sheet on a rack for a minute or two before removing the cookies to a cooling rack.

I made about 24 little cookies, but you can make 12 more normal sized cookies.

Personal feelings: I really liked these cookies and found them quite addictive, the omnivore of the house didn't think they were up to snuff with other cookies I have made. I think they were different, but good. Try and decide for your self.

No comments: