Monday, April 14, 2008

Raw Raspberry Cheesecake



So Alison, my house mate, was looking through one of my vegan cookbooks and saw a raspberry cheesecake. It was a typical cooked, tofu based sort of affair. I'm not a big fan of soy, and try to avoid it, and told her I could totally make her a better, raw version. I had some raspberries in the freezer, some cashews I had been soaking the day before for a faux sour cream, or whipped topping, or something (I forget). So I threw this together. It was loved by all. It would be good with a whipped cream topping, I think... Mayhaps next time.

Here is the recipe:

Crust:
1 c hazelnut meal (leftover from hazelnut mylk)
1/4 c almond meal
dash of vanilla
dash of salt
dash of cinnamon
Enough agave nectar to keep mix sticking together, or until desired sweetness is reached

Filling:
1 c soaked cashews
1/3rd c nut mylk of choice (I think I used hemp seed)
1/3 c lemon juice
1/2 c frozen 0r fresh raspberries
1/4 c agave nectar, or enough stevia to reach desired sweetness
1 t vanilla extract
dash of salt
1 T lecithin
1/4 c unscented coconut butter

Crust:
In a standing bowl mixer or food processor, mix together crust ingredients until they reach the consistency desired. Feel free to leave it 'dry' and crumbly, the cheesecake filling will hold it together. Press into an 8x8 brownie pan, or something of same surface area/depth.

Filling: Blend all the ingredients together, except lecithin and coconut butter. Add lecithin and coconut butter and blend until smooth. Pour into brownie pan, pie pan, whichever. Refrigerate until set.

Notes: Honestly, I didn't measure the raspberries. I just added to taste. Also a personal option, I added some slices of red beets for color. This is optional, but I like it, personally.

2 comments:

laura coxeter said...

Hi there,
Stumbled upon your blog when looking for a recipe for cashew cheescake.
I found a great cafe in London that serves cashew raspberry cheescake and neeeeeeded to try and make it.
Im not strictly vegan or raw but love it and enjoy trying recipes. I made a raw avocado chocolate tart the other week, thatwas nice.
Anyway, i made the cheescake last night. The crust was nice, i added cacao nibs and carob too.....
But- The cake didnt 'set'. I made two, put one n the fridge and one n the freezer. The frozen one is inedible 'frozen', and i guess wont be suitable to take on the picnic today, as was the plan! The one in the fridge is a runny mess!!!!
What did i do wrong???!!!
P.s=love your blog!

Unknown said...

Hey Laura,
That is odd. So a few things that I imagine could have happened...
You drained the cashews, right?
You used a coconut butter that was solid at room temperature?
I suppose, glancing at the recipe, were I to do it and I had the same problem as you... I would add more coconut butter, or cut out the nut mylk liquid. You can always put small amounts in the refridgerator to see how it sets, before pouring the whole thing into a pan...

But odd odd odd... I'll make this recipe again soon, and see how it turns out and get back to you.